Thursday, July 8, 2010

Introductions…

    Hello, Internet!  This is the first post of what I can say I hope is many.  Today I am going to stick with a basic introduction.  I grew up in the Mid-West with a family that encouraged running around outside and playing rather then sitting in front of the Television.  I didn't actually own my first video game console until I was 20 years old.  That doesn't mean that I didn't rent an NES and SNES from time to time and play them nonstop until they had to be returned.  But needless to say I had a lot of catching up to do!  Like a lot people that are into video games it’s a dream of mine to work in the industry.  The main difference between me and others that fit into this category is that I don’t want to make games.  I’m smart enough to look at my skills and strengths to know that I don’t have what it takes to be a designer or artist or even an engineer.  Props to those of you that do I’m jealous!!  I do have a knack for talking and meeting people and networking.  Therefore, my skills lie in the Marketing or PR side of the video game industry.  The million dollar question when it comes to this industry seems to be, “How to I get my foot in the door?”  I started by moving from the Mid-West out to Seattle Washington to be closer to the jobs that I’m looking at getting into. Then, my loyal blog readers I started this soon to be amazing blog. But now comes the hard part,  Networking.  I’m not going to even try and say that I’m going to bore you with the rants and raves of a guy that can’t get a job.  But rather use this as a platform to talk about what I’m learning about the industry through research and contacts, jobs opportunities that might come along, and of course gaming!  I am not the most guru of gaming nor do I know everything about Marketing and PR.  And I am going to try not to use this blog as a platform for preaching about what system or game is better then another.  But rather talk about what I find interesting and what is happening in the world of 360.  To answer the questions that I'm sure are forming in your mind, yes I do own a PlayStation 3. Getting that out of the way I will say that I’m going to miss story’s and I’m not going to talk about every single thing that is HUGE coming out in the years to come.  That would be spreading myself and the focus of this blog a little thin.  If by chance there is somebody that is following this that wants to write and article or put there two sense in let me know in a comment!  I’ll probably give you the go ahead!  After all, that is part of networking!  And maybe, just maybe this blog can speak to those of us that land right in the middle of the hardcore gamer and the casual gamer.



** I know that my spelling and grammar is probably going to stink at times. I won’t always have to to proof read.  So, go ahead and flame me but you have all been forewarned.


Onward and Upward,
     J. Swanson

No comments: